Memorial Day 2018: A List Of What's Open & Closed
Memorial Day commemorates those brave individuals who have lost their lives during battle. In order to honour the military personnel who have been killed while fighting for America, businesses and nearly all government fices will be closed for the day.
Formerly known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day is recognized as both a federal and state holiday, which traces its roots back to the aftermath the Civil War, as civilians remembered both the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the line duty. Congress eventually passed a bill that recognized the last Monday May as Memorial Day back in 1968 with the Uniform Holiday Act.
Here's a comprehensive list what is open and closed on the holiday Monday:
- Federal fices: Closed.
- State fices: Closed.
- Municipal and county fices: Most will be closed.
- Courts: Closed.
- Mail Service: No Postal delivery on Monday and all Post Offices will be closed.
- Garbage: Most routine trash pickups will cease operation for the day; check with your local provider.
- UPS: Will not pick up or perform deliveries on Monday.
- FedEx: Most FedEx services will be closed; however, many fice locations will operate on modified holiday hours.
- Malls and stores: Most will remain open.
- Grocery Stores: Most will remain open including Walmart, Target, Publix & Kroger.
- Banks and financial markets: Most will be closed, as well as the Nasdaq and New York Stock Exchange.